Keeping your family happy and healthy is the number one priority for many American families. These include many different areas, but the one we’ll talk about today is fire safety around the house. Fires in the home can happen for many various reasons. These include improper use of space heaters, surge protectors, or absentmindedness in the kitchen. Here are some tips to keep your beautiful home safe and sound.  

Stay Vigilant in the Kitchen

It’s no surprise that cooking leads to more fires than any other activity in the home. Kitchen fires start for several reasons, including leaving food unattended, wearing loose clothing or jewelry that has the potential to ignite when too close to the flame. It’s interesting to note that there are more fires on Thanksgiving Day than any other day of the year. Christmas Day is not far behind, following the day before Thanksgiving as well. Stay extra cautious if children are around, keep all pot and skillet handles faced toward the interior of the stovetop so curious-minded children can’t look up and grab a hot pan. Keep any flammable items away from the stovetop. Flammable items include paper products and dish towels, as well as oven mitts and flour. Clean up excess grease as quickly as possible. Spilled grease can catch fire very suddenly.  

Teach your Children Accordingly

It’s essential to educate your children about fire safety at an early age. Looking online is a great resource to do this. The National Fire Protection Association has a website for kids, and also the Burn Institute has one as well. Teach your children not to be afraid of firefighters or hide when they see them. They need to recognize what they look like in their full gear, so they are used to seeing them if a fire does occur. Often, children will run and hide from firefighters because they look scary in their full uniform. Teach them to stop, drop, and roll in the unfortunate case that their hair or clothes catch fire—practice evacuation plans for the whole family in case of an incident.  

Stay Safe with Portable Heaters

Using space heaters is a great way to stay warm and cozy in cold or drafty areas of your house. Unfortunately, they can contribute to a severe fire risk. Estimates say that space heaters cause 1100 fires per year, accounting for 50 unintentional deaths. These statistics account for 43% of fires in the home but 85 % of deaths. To avoid these devastating numbers, use space heaters effectively and safely. Give it room to work. Children and pets should keep at least 3 feet away from the space heater. In addition to that, space heaters kept 3 feet away from curtains, furniture, and beds will ensure proper safety. When using the space heater, don’t rely on extension cords. They should plug directly into an outlet on the wall. Never under any circumstances use the space heater while your asleep or when you leave the house. Check the cord to ensure that there is no melting or burning. Also, check the outlet and faceplate to make sure it is not too hot. If it feels warm to the touch, call an electrician immediately.  

Protect Your Family

For additional fire tips and advantages to using gas fireplaces, visit Arizona Gas Products for all of your heating needs.